Palak paneer is a vegetarian dish originating from India, consisting of paneer in a thick gravy made from puréed spinach, called palak in Hindi. The terms palak paneer and saag paneer are sometimes used interchangeably. This recipe has a slight variation from the original recipe; it is tempered with garlic and red chilies. This tempering gives an excellent kick to the palak paneer.
- 250 Gms Paneer
- 1/2 Bunch Spinach Leaves
- 2 tsp Ginger garlic and green chili paste
- 2 Nos Medium size onion, fine paste
- 2 Nos Medium size tomato, fine paste
- Salt to Taste
- 1/4 tsp Garam masala powder
- 1/2 tsp Kasuri Methi
- 2 tsp Fresh Cream
- Best Drop Lite Oil for Cooking
For Tempering :
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds
- 1 tsp Chopped Garlic
- 1/2 tsp Red chili powder
- 2 Nos Whole Red Chili
- 2 tsp Ghee
- Blanching spinach: In a pan heat some water and just when the water is hot, add the spinach leaves in it and turn off the stove. Leave the spinach for about a minute or two and then take out the leaves and put it in ice-cold water.
- After 2 minutes, drain the spinach leaves and squeeze out the extra water. Make a puree of the blanched spinach in a mixer grinder and keep it aside.
- In another kadhai, heat some oil. Add ginger-garlic paste and sauté, till the raw smell goes off.
- Add onion paste and cook till oil separates. Now, add the tomato paste and sautéfor about 5 minutes more.
- Once the masala is cooked season it with salt,garam masala and Kasuri methi; sauté for about 2-3 minutes. Then, add the spinach puree and cook it for further 10 minutes. You may add water if desired.
- Now, add the paneer to the gravy and cook for about5 minutes. Add cream to the spinach gravy and cook for about 2 minutes and then turn off the stove.
- For tempering: In a small pan, heat 2 tbsp of ghee and temper it with chopped garlic. Toast the garlic till it is golden in color.
- Now, add cumin and let it crackle. Add whole red chili and chili powder and pour the tadka over the palak paneer and serve hot with roti or parantha.